Tuesday, October 22, 2013

I Did It

Today was a big day for me. I donated blood for the first time in my life. At the beginning of 2012 I blogged about 10 goals I had for the upcoming year, one of them being to donate blood. A year later I reviewed my success or failure with these goals and sadly I still had not donated blood because of silly squeamishness.

However, life experience changes perception. Two weeks ago I stood with my sister beside my mother's bed and we stroked her hand and face as she breathed her last breaths and her heart came to a stop. I know there was nothing that anyone could do for my mother. Her time on this earth had simply come to its natural end. But a few days later as I was driving near home I noticed a sign advertising an upcoming blood donor clinic and I had thought... Perhaps my blood could help save a life and spare someone somewhere the sadness of losing a loved one. I knew that my time had come to get over my fears.


I did this with my mom in my thoughts and I feel happy about it.

Until next time...
Susan :-)

3 comments:

  1. Congrats Susan! :) Must feel great! Love that you got a pin and a sticker to celebrate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, I want to thank you! i had a blood transfusion many years ago and it helped to save my life, so I applaud anyone who gathers up their courage to give

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great accomplishment. And a way to celebrate life in a difficult time for you.
    Lots of hugs,
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.