Wednesday, November 9, 2011

My Awesome Adventure in Sock-making

This adventure has definitely taken a turn for the better.  After all of my mishaps of Monday, I did manage to complete my sock leg, all 8 inches of it, by yesterday evening so I was ready to move on to the next step with Jen today.  I arrived at her house this morning with this...


...and yes, some apprehension about what was to come next - the heel!  The dreaded heel.  Making a heel has always seemed like a daunting impossibility to me but we worked together to understand the pattern.  First we made a heel flap and then amazingly we both knit a heel!  Truly a thing of beauty to behold and to be honest, it wasn't even hard to make.  I can't believe I just said that!

The toughest part was picking up stitches and then knitting the foundation round before continuing on to the foot.  However, Jen and I have discovered that we function great as a team.  The things that she doesn't understand, I do.  And what I don't understand, she does.  It works out beautifully.

Despite our success today, there is one downside to these socks - they are BIG!  Really big.  Regardless of how big the circumference of my ankle is, we now see that we should have opted for one size smaller than what we chose.  These are like socks for giants.  I think I'll just consider them to be a hybrid - a cross between a sock and a slipper - and I'm going to call them "sloppers".  If you could see this sock in person you'd know how truly fitting that name is.  Here's my REALLY BIG sock in all its glory.  All that's left to do now is finish off the foot and toe.



There were a few minor mistakes made along the way today but if I had to pick one word to describe our experience.......nirvana.  Pure and simple sock-making nirvana.  Who knew socks could be so exciting?

Until next time...
Susan :-)

3 comments:

  1. "Sloppers"!! hee hee Perfect name for these! I worked on mine some more last night! We will be done before we know it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've so enjoyed reading about your sock adventures - I loved the cankle post because you had such a laugh and this one because you defeated the dreaded heel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps the dreaded heel is why tube socks were invented? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.