Friday, November 11, 2011

Behold the Sock!


The big sock.  The really big sock.  Definitely not a thing of beauty but a sock of sorts nevertheless.  When Jen and I first started on this project together, I envisioned weeks and weeks of hard work to produce a finished item.  I figured if our instructional book "I Can't Believe I'm Knitting Socks!" failed to teach us, we could perhaps write our own book called "I Believe I Can't Knit Socks".  But we followed the advice of the nice lady at the fancy wool shop, did whatever the pattern asked us to do without thinking too much about it, and just as she told me - it all worked out fine in the end, and in only a matter of days.

My sock doesn't really fit me very well.  We should have opted for the smaller size.  It's loose in the heel and long in the toe, however, I enlisted the help of Chris as a foot model.   He has rather large, wide feet which we've often referred to as hobbit feet.  Seeing that sock on his foot made me feel proud.  It looks great and now I know how it would fit me if only it was the right size.  Too bad he's not interested in owning this pair of socks.  Whaaat?  Goofy-looking, hand-knit socks are not all the rage with twenty-year-olds these days?  Oh well.


As I knit my sock I would sometimes burst out laughing at how funny it looked and I couldn't help but think of how much it reminded me of a funny picture that Chris once drew as an assignment for Grade 7 English class.  The girl in his drawing is wearing socks which look amazingly like mine.



His teacher, Mr. Greenberg, wrote on the back of the paper, "Is she dressed for winter wearing those socks?", insinuating that they wouldn't keep her warm.  Yes, Mr. Greenberg, if those socks are anything like what I just made, they would definitely keep her warm!

This has been such a great learning experience.  I will eventually knit the mate to my really big sock but for now Jen and I have decided to move on to something different.  We'll probably search for a more refined sock pattern - perhaps even using the superfine wool which we originally purchased and even smaller needles.  It would be nice to create something that resembles a real sock with a grafted toe and not some pointy-toed medieval stocking.  And, shock of all shocks, there are even whisperings of knitting sweaters...

I'm proud of us, Jen, really proud.

Until next time...
Susan :-)

8 comments:

  1. Great post!! Hey, those are our socks in Chris's art work!! Sweaters ~ here we come... eventually. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow I can not believe how good it looks. I must say good job Chris on your art. Susan ... keep working LOL. dbnl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous said

    Susan great you accomplished making your sock it looks fine if no one in the family wants to claim them you can donate to The Santa Claus Fund for the needy someone will appreciate them for Christmas. I say this only because you say they are to big for you. Ann S

    ReplyDelete
  4. The end product after this hilarious and sometimes disastrous project was pretty good. Just have to find someone with giant feet like Chris to appreciate your hard work. Sure looks good on chris's foot. YDH

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did a fine job! I'm really impressed. And entertained :)

    Maybe you should hang it up on Christmas Eve? You never know..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought that the girl in the picture was wearing Medieval style ankle boots - but now I realise that they were a vision of the future as they do seem very similar to your excellent sock! Well done on finishing - though you need to find a home/use for it I think

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think it's a very handsome sock indeed! well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL This post made me giggle. :) I think it's beautiful! Perhaps your son doesn't want a PAIR of them, but he would settle for just one sock?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.