Friday, February 18, 2011

My First "Binderie" Punch Project - A Knitting Journal

This has been a really good scrappy week!  Jen and I got together and finished two more pages for the anniversary album.  Amazing really, considering that we also shopped at Michael's and Home Sense, went out for lunch with Robert and then, when we finally got down to some "serious" scrapping, struggled with the design of the layouts.  It's a good thing that Jen is great with embellishing and that I like doing titles where everything has to be placed "just so" - because at a certain point we just traded LOs and finished off each other's!  We make a good team, that's for sure.

I also spent some time this week playing with my 7Gypsies Binderie punch.  I was anxious to see how it worked and being the type of person who likes to keep track of things and write lists, I decided to make myself a journal where I can record things about my knitting "adventures". 

The beauty of this journal is that because it is bound with metal rings that open, I can rearrange the pages at any time or add new ones when I need to.  Here's what it looks like so far:





I added a pocket to one of the pages so I could tuck in the label from the yarn and a photo of my scarf and mitts.             

 





Teri from The Pursuit of Scrappyness had asked me if I could do a tutorial on what the Binderie does.  There are already lots of video demos out there on the web including one from 7Gypsies which can be found here, so I figured the best thing would be to just give my personal opinion of the Binderie.

For me, purchasing a tool like this is usually based on whether I can justify its cost versus how much use it will actually get.  The Binderie retails at my LSS for $54.  For the amount of books I'll probably make with it I would never be able to justify paying that much, but I was able to buy it online for $20 and I know that I will also be able to share it with Jen, so for what I paid that's a great deal.  Also, if you don't purchase the power adapter which is sold separately, you have to run it off of 6 AA batteries which could be costly depending how much you use it.   Luckily, I was able to get the power cord on sale for $9 at my LSS.

I found that it takes some time getting used to figuring out how to place your pages for punching.  The instructions that come with the tool are very minimal so until you're very familiar with how it works, I strongly suggest that you test punch on regular paper before punching your actual covers or pages.

I wanted to bind my journal with 3 rings but after punching the initial two holes I couldn't figure out how to get a third one between them without also punching a "half-hole" near the bottom of the cover.  Thank goodness I was testing on scrap paper or I would have ruined my decorated cover!  There's probably a way to do it but so far I haven't been able to figure it out.

This is an excellent tool for someone who makes a lot of mini-books or journals from scratch and needs to be able to punch consistent holes, especially through thick chipboard or book board.  Keep in mind that many of the chipboard mini-books we can buy already have the holes punched in them so the Binderie would be unnecessary in this case. 

All in all I am happy with my Binderie.  I know that with a bit of experimentation and practice I'll figure out better how it works.  It did a really nice job on my journal and I got it for an excellent price.

Until next time...
Susan :-)

7 comments:

  1. Nice JOB and I am named in the alphca adventure. WOW I am honoured. Signed by you know who

    ReplyDelete
  2. The knitting journal is so awesome! Great to see your additions from last time! What a great way to keep track of knitting fun! I am so happy that you are enjoying this amazing hobby so! Hey, I bought some more sale wool at Michael's today. Now I'm turning into a yarn hoarder. :( It is cheaper than scrappy goods though. No luck with the size 9 needles. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you started this wonderful hobby, got myself a great black tuque to keep me warm during the brutally cold Alberta winter.

    Thanks baby!

    Your DH

    ReplyDelete
  4. hee hee- love the anonymous post - your idea to move to Alberta?? I really like your knitting journal - I am working on one to keep an inventory of all my scrappy things - what color inks I have, stamps, craft supplies, etc. I am working on the chipboard dividers right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool - thanks so much for the review, Susan! I like mini-books, but usually only make them for others for gifts...so it might not be a good buy for more. Maybe I'll come over and borrow yours! LOL. What an awesome idea to make a knitting journal! It's so cute! I love the vintage feel. I started a reading journal a while ago, but I never finished it. I really should get back to it, because I've read some great books lately that I'd love to document! I sort of mourn the loss of a good book when it ends, and I've found that journaling my love for the characters etc. kind of helps with that. (What a nerd! LOL) Thanks again for the review, Susan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you sell these?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Email me at sjwhite1962@gmail.com and I'd be happy to discuss it with you. :-)

      Delete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.